Skip to main content

DIY CLAY JEWELRY DISH

When I got married a few years ago I found myself taking off my engagement and wedding ring to wash dishes or take a shower. Since then I have been super nervous that I'd knock them off the counter and into the drain thus lost forever.  I searched for ring holders but didn't find any that really fit my taste without breaking the bank.  When I came across this and this post through pinterest I knew I had to try it for myself!  It sounded pretty simple and then I thought it would also make a great birthday, mother's day, or engagement gift.


Materials:
  • Polymer Clay (I used Crayola Air-Dry Clay)
  • Wax Paper and Painter's Tape
  • Craft Paint and foam paint brush (Optional) (I used Martha Stewart Multi-Surface Acrylic Craft Paint) 
  • Some kind of a glass dish to let the clay dry in
  • Lace or Crocheted Doily
  • Rolling Pin
  • Sand Paper or File (Optional)
  • Knife or Tool to cut the clay (I used a small pumpkin carving knife)
  • High Gloss Enamel Finish for a sealant (Optional)  (I used Dresden Clear Glaze) 
Please give me grace on these photos because I completed this project in the late evening over a few nights and the lighting is poor.


(I left a few things out in this photo:  Sand paper, pumpkin carving tool, and rolling pin)
Instructions:

Knead the clay in between your fingers so the clay is soft and malleable.


Using your rolling pin, start rolling the clay out onto your wax paper (to a thickness of 1/4").


Place your lace or fabric doily onto the clay and then using your rolling pin make an imprint onto the clay.  If you really want to make a deep impression then roll until your clay is flat with the top of the doily.


Gently peel the doily away from the clay.

Using your glass dish or Tupperware container, place over the clay.  Take your knife or tool and trim away any extra remaining clay.


Lay or place your clay into a bowl or a plate for a flatter bottom and let air dry for 2-3 days.  I tried using a hair dryer to speed the process up and it cracked the dish.


Using a nail file or sand paper, smooth out the edges of the dish.


Paint bottom of dish 2 coats of paint drying at least 1+ hour between coats.


Using your clear glaze, spray 2-3 coats of the sealant onto the bottom of the dish at least 10+ minutes between coats (follow the directions on the bottle).


Repeat painting and glazing for the top of the dish and enjoy your beautiful new Clay Jewelry Dish!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DRESSER TURNED TV STAND MAKEOVER

Tonight, I am so excited to share with you what hubby has been working on for the last few months in his spare time.  Let me preface by saying that we've had our TV hanging on the wall above our fire place since we purchased it about a year ago.  And though I liked it there and it fit well, it wasn't exactly what I had in mind.  You see, while the TV is on and you're sitting on the sofa curled up in a warm blanket drinking hot tea, you can't have the gas fireplace running.  Not only do I use the TV for viewing movies and television shows, but I listen to a lot of music through it.  I love our fireplace but would love it more if I could use it!  So to solve that problem I was on a mission to find a nice TV stand. After searching online and finding a lot of great furniture options, I realized I didn't really want to spend any money.  We had a dresser gifted to my husband years ago that we were planning on selling or donating but I really wanted to find a new u

DIY HOMEMADE MOD PODGE

We all know how expensive Mod Podge is at the craft store, right?  And since there are so many projects which use it, I thought I could find a homemade version  online .  Love  pinterest !  This is seriously the easiest DIY project I have ever done. Supplies: A Jar (I rescued an empty Tostitos Creamy Spinach Dip Jar YUMMM which was on its way out to be recycled) Elmer's White Glue (I used two 4 fl oz bottles) Water Before I made the Mod Podge, I washed out the jar and spray painted the lid silver.  I also took off the label from the jar and did my best to get rid of all of the adhesive (first tried a paper towel and rubbing alcohol, but it didn't work and then I tried olive oil and it worked like a charm). Instructions: Empty glue into jar Fill the empty glue bottle with water and pour into the new jar with the glue  (Ideally, you want 50% glue and 50% water) Shake, Shake, SHAKE the jar That's it!  You have made homemade mod pod

TWO YEARS | remembering our miscarriage

We all have that day. The day when our world changed forever. For us, it was the day we lost our little one. I don't cry much anymore, but I remember. The pain isn't raw as it once was, but I will never forget. I remember the day I found out I was pregnant. The day I told my husband he was a daddy to be. I remember the dreams we had for this baby. Our hopes. Our plans. Our future. I remember our normally un-snuggly dog coming up to me and nuzzling her head under my arm pit, resting her head on my belly as if she knew there was a little life growing inside of me. I remember the prayers. So many prayers. We prayed every night for this baby of ours. For their future. For their health. For their life. The unbelievable love. The warmth of the sun and the smell in the air. I remember the darkness descending. The blood. The emergency room. The tests. The feelings of fear. The spoken words. The reality dawning. The unimaginable pain. The surgery. The pain isn't