Skip to main content

DIY "52 REASONS I LOVE YOU" CARD TUTORIAL

With Valentines Day fast approaching, I wanted to share with you what I created for my hubby this year.  He doesn't read the blog unless I ask him to, so I think I'm safe!

Since his birthday is less than a week after VDay, I always try to keep it real small, inexpensive and easy to make.  I can't take credit for coming up with this idea, I've seen several versions online and found one through pinterest.

I filled the deck of playing cards with 52 reasons why I love my amazing husband.  I tried to include things he does for me, how he makes me feel, funny stuff, sexy stuff, and things about who he is as a person.  I wanted to really tell him what I love about him and his character.  Because, I love him for who he is, not just how he makes me feel or what he does for me.


Instructions:
  1. Find some playing cards!
  2. Scuff them up with sandpaper to give them a used feel and look
  3. Create a template with one of the spare cards (I used a joker)
  4. Punch two holes in each card using the template as a guide
  5. Shuffle your cards (if you want, or you can keep them in order)
  6. Make sure all of your cards are facing up (I used the two jokers as front and back covers, facing down)
  7. Create your reasons labels to attach to the cards (read below on how I created my labels) 
  8. Create all 52 of your reasons cards and let the glue dry (I liked how the glue almost made the card curl up a bit and gave it more texture)
  9. Thread the binder ring through the holes  (you can find them at your local office supply store)
Reason Labels:

To create the reason labels, I wanted to find some sort of a red, white and black border for my words.  Since I don't have any sort of photo editing software, I had to get creative and found a photo online.  Since I was running out of red ink in my printer, I decided to cut down the frame so that it would fit onto the playing card.  Here was the photo I found on the left.  On the right is after I went into Paint and erased all of the words.

Next I went to picnik and added text for my reasons.  The font I used was called "GeosansLight."  Each # was size 40.  Next, I printed the photo onto photo paper and cut it down to fit onto the playing card.


I'm sure there are easier ways to create the labels, for example printing the reasons onto actual labels, however I was really trying to save money.  Since I already had photo paper on hand, it was an easy decision.

Inside of Front Cover (left), Back Cover (right):


The J's and the Park are silver stickers I had on hand and I used my heart punch for the back cover.  This is sort of bare bones but you could use other embellishments if you wanted to be more creative.

This craft project certainly doesn't have to be just for Valentine's Day.  You could also use it for a birthday or an anniversary!  How fun is it?  I would love to be the recipient of a gift like this.  :)

Enjoy!

P.S.

Here is my gift all wrapped up.  I used white crepe streamers to create a bow.  It's sort of a sad and pathetic bow and I didn't have any ribbon to use.  This was the next best thing.  You can download the Valentine's Day Wrapping Paper over at Thirty Handmade Days.

Comments

  1. I love, love, love this!!! May have to do this for my hubby's b-day, which is the day after Valentine's Day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad, thank you! My hubby treasured it and I'm sure yours will too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DRESSER TURNED TV STAND MAKEOVER

Tonight, I am so excited to share with you what hubby has been working on for the last few months in his spare time.  Let me preface by saying that we've had our TV hanging on the wall above our fire place since we purchased it about a year ago.  And though I liked it there and it fit well, it wasn't exactly what I had in mind.  You see, while the TV is on and you're sitting on the sofa curled up in a warm blanket drinking hot tea, you can't have the gas fireplace running.  Not only do I use the TV for viewing movies and television shows, but I listen to a lot of music through it.  I love our fireplace but would love it more if I could use it!  So to solve that problem I was on a mission to find a nice TV stand. After searching online and finding a lot of great furniture options, I realized I didn't really want to spend any money.  We had a dresser gifted to my husband years ago that we were planning on selling or donating but I really wanted to find a new u

DIY HOMEMADE MOD PODGE

We all know how expensive Mod Podge is at the craft store, right?  And since there are so many projects which use it, I thought I could find a homemade version  online .  Love  pinterest !  This is seriously the easiest DIY project I have ever done. Supplies: A Jar (I rescued an empty Tostitos Creamy Spinach Dip Jar YUMMM which was on its way out to be recycled) Elmer's White Glue (I used two 4 fl oz bottles) Water Before I made the Mod Podge, I washed out the jar and spray painted the lid silver.  I also took off the label from the jar and did my best to get rid of all of the adhesive (first tried a paper towel and rubbing alcohol, but it didn't work and then I tried olive oil and it worked like a charm). Instructions: Empty glue into jar Fill the empty glue bottle with water and pour into the new jar with the glue  (Ideally, you want 50% glue and 50% water) Shake, Shake, SHAKE the jar That's it!  You have made homemade mod pod

TWO YEARS | remembering our miscarriage

We all have that day. The day when our world changed forever. For us, it was the day we lost our little one. I don't cry much anymore, but I remember. The pain isn't raw as it once was, but I will never forget. I remember the day I found out I was pregnant. The day I told my husband he was a daddy to be. I remember the dreams we had for this baby. Our hopes. Our plans. Our future. I remember our normally un-snuggly dog coming up to me and nuzzling her head under my arm pit, resting her head on my belly as if she knew there was a little life growing inside of me. I remember the prayers. So many prayers. We prayed every night for this baby of ours. For their future. For their health. For their life. The unbelievable love. The warmth of the sun and the smell in the air. I remember the darkness descending. The blood. The emergency room. The tests. The feelings of fear. The spoken words. The reality dawning. The unimaginable pain. The surgery. The pain isn't